Monday, June 25, 2012

Tomato Pie

I just got back from a fantastic vacation to Jackson, Wyoming for my cousin's wedding.  It was exquisite.  We also spent a lot of time in Yellowstone park which means we ate lots of picnics along the way.  Lots of sandwiches and snacky things.  It was fine.  It fit what we were doing, but when I got home, I decided, I wanted real food.  My in-laws met us at the airport with a bag of tomatoes from their garden and our truck so we could go home.  I knew immediately what I would make with those tomatoes---pie!  I made mine based on a recipe by my Aunt Mandy.  The only thing I changed was the cheese.  She uses cheddar. I just happened to have some goat cheese in the fridge and I wanted to give that a try!

Here goes........

For the pie-
1 9 inch pie crust - bake according to package directions
About 2-5 tomatoes sliced
Salt and pepper
2 T fresh chives
2 T basil
1 t thyme
1/4 cup mayo
5 oz ball of goat cheese with herbs
8 slices of bacon cooked crisp and crumbled.

Note, I didn't actually measure any of this stuff. I am an "eye-baller" when it comes to things such as this.  I save precision for baking!

So, while the pie crust baked, I sliced tomatoes and chopped herbs.  Yes, I used store crust.  I use Pillsbury.  They tend to do fine in quiches and things like this and I have no patience for rolling out crust.  Sue me.  It is just not my thing.
When the crust got done, I filled it with tomatoes and herbs.  I just layered them in.  See, not so hard.


Then I mixed the mayo and the goat cheese and smeared that on top....................

And then I baked it for about 20 minutes at 350.  When it got done, I covered the top with bacon crumbles.


I believe it looks good enough to eat!  And when it is 100 degrees outside, I am happy to have my oven off for the day at 2:30!  
P.S.  I will tell you more about the wedding and Yellowstone later.  I have about 1200 pictures to WADE through before I can blog on that!  Just know, it was fantastic! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment