Monday, January 7, 2013

New Year!

Ahhhhhh, a New Year!  Yes, I do realize that I am a few days late in my acknowledgement of this event, but I have been in the mountains and time seems to stand still when on vacation!  So, today, back in my abode it is my New Year's day.  I have been thinking about resolutions and the best way to tackle them.  A few years ago, I read to choose a theme word and work toward that.  That seems to work for me.  Under the heading of that word, I try to add specific goals.....lots of them.  I always think, "I have 12 months to get this done. That is ample time.  I can do it." Then reality takes hold and a year turns into what seems like about 4 1/2 days and there is never enough time!
So for this year.... my word is going to be ROUTINE.  I am often guilty of flying by the seat of my pants.  I seem to work best under a pressing deadline.  And then, everything else falls by the wayside.  I admit that at times, dinner preparation comes as a surprise to me.  And, as stated before, I am not the best house keeper. I often fail at delegating and then I get cranky that I have no help!
Ahhh, the list goes on and on, but many of my woes can be solved if I work towards a routine.
So, here we go....the list--

HOME ROUTINE
1) Make a chore chart/list/assignment sheet for the kids. My husband says not to do this.  He says simply ask them when I want something done.  I, personally,  like to see things as part of a list and maybe they will too.    Assign regular chores and make some chores for pay.  Allow them to earn a little money to manage, save, and help squelch the "I want"s.
2) Purge unwanted stuff room by room
3) Prepare items for consignment.
4) Get help in the form of a maid.  I have wrestled hard with this.  Very hard.  My dear, sweet, wonderful, incredibly kind friend knows that this is my Achilles' heel and gave me the gift of a house cleaning for Christmas.  (No, I was not offended.  Relieved. Excited.  Overjoyed. But not offended!)  Opening that gift made my whole being let out a huge sigh of relief and from that moment on, I began thinking of things I could sacrifice to keep that sense of relief.  Target and I are going to have to go on a break.
5) Organize recipes and menu plan.  Then dinner won't be a surprise!
6) Manage the calendar and attempt to no get over booked. (Haaaaaaaaaaa haa haa!)

KIDS' ROUTINE
1) Tackle homework FIRST!
2) Prep and plan for activities
3) George- practice piano and baseball
4) Lindsay- School work, dance, art
5) Establish chores as part of daily living.  (Drop to your knees now and pray for me!)

MY STUFF (In no particular order)
1) Establish exercise as a part of life.
2) Complete half done quilts....there are lots of them.
3) Catch up Christmas scrapbook.  I have given up on the rest.  Scrapbooking is too high pressure.  I spend way too much time on each page.
4) Make another tutu.
5) Do Christmas sewing early.
6) Make something for myself.
7) Sew for others for pay to try to keep the maid.

So, that is all.  Completely do-able.  If nothing comes up. Ever.











3 comments:

.....Elizabeth..... Polka Dot Skies said...

Hello, sweet friend! What a wonderful gift! I love the idea of limiting Target runs and sewing for pay to make money for the maid! You are such a talented gal and I know you can do this! Anything you need some encouragement, you always have me in your corner!

Last January, I started menu planning. I did it all year (there were a few weeks that it slipped by me, but I am proud of myself for sticking with it most of the time). It made my life easier in so many ways. The grocery shopping and no longer wondering what was for dinner and having panic set in at 5:30 every day. The weeks that I slipped felt even crazier and made me realize how much I like this routine.
Hope you have a fab day! I miss you so much!
Elizabeth

Katy said...

I stole the menu plan from you! Totally! You did a great job and fed your family well! Thanks for the kind words!

.....Elizabeth..... Polka Dot Skies said...

You are welcome! Thank you:)

Post a Comment