Thursday, April 5, 2012

Dance Competition

A few weeks ago, I went to a dance competition with my daughter.  The girls from her studio were competing and she has mentioned wanting to audition for the competition team, so I thought it best she spend a day seeing what she was getting herself and her mother into.   Plus, I have wanted to go watch the girls compete for a while and see their solos and such that you don't get to see at recital.

I know that you are all picturing a baaaaad episode of Dance Moms.  Well, I would like to say that it is not like that, but there are moms like that out there.  Fortunately, I saw mothers who are mostly sane.  Wheew.  I was worried for myself.

We watched the younger girls dance.  Our neighbors won first place for their duet.  It was so fun to be there and see that accomplishment.  We stayed and watched the big girls dance.  As they danced, it became apparent that they were in an entirely different league than most of the other dancers, and that is not to say that the other dancers were bad, because they were not.  It was just that I have never seen the girls outside of the recital or the Nutcracker production and to see them compete with their peers was eye opening.

I also have been DYING to show you my favorite dance of the day.   It is called Already Falling.  It is a lyrical number.  Historically, I have not been a huge fan of lyrical.   I felt like you see one translate her agony into dance, you have seen them all.  I am a big enough girl to admit when I am wrong and I kept my eyes open enough to see something entirely different from agony play out on that stage.  There was a lyrical about joy and friendship and belonging.  It was a piece of art.  It made my cry.  It made my friend cry.  When I saw it again today, I got chills.  Truly.   And I dislike watching dance on film because I believe it becomes "flat" and the camera sucks energy out of a performance.  But I would rather you see this on film than not at all.  That is how strongly I feel about it.  I am also putting in snazzy jazzy number and a fun, fun ballet.

Enjoy!









1 comments:

.....Elizabeth..... Polka Dot Skies said...

Katy, What a beautiful dance! Have have chills now!

Post a Comment